Friday 26 April 2013

Bikes in Bodrum

The 6th stage of the Presidential Cycle Race started in Bodrum this morning.  The main square was transformed yet again as professional cyclists rode back and forth between the stage, hospitality tent and the starting gate mingling with race organisers, press photographers and tourists.  Yesterday I tried and failed to get some photos of the 5th stage as the riders whizzed through Bodrum on their way to the finish in Turgutreis  so I arrived early today to  snap the contenders before they zoomed off.

A leisurely peddle 30 minutes before the start
Each team was interviewed in a mixture of English, Turkish, French and Italian.

Bodrum also had two large cruise ships in today, which added to the bustle. 

On the start line
The turquoise jersey is worn by the leader, the red jersey by the best climber.


The start - 11:40am as advertised!

I was surprised at how relaxed they all looked considering they were just about to set off on a 182 km journey, culminating in a 6km twisting climb to Merymana, which is daunting in coach or car.  The Turkish flags will have been out in force at the finish as Mustafa Sayer crossed the line first and seized the overall lead. 

A boy can dream. 

20 comments:

  1. A couple of years back we got stuck at the lights where the Yalikavak road meets the main arterial road at Kipa for an hour and half waiting for the competitors to pass. We were on a dolly and it was very jolly as we all mingled and chatted at the makeshift barrier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waited for them to go past on Thursday and only succeeded in taking a photo of my thumb

      Delete
  2. We really enjoyed seeing the bikes leave Bodrum last year. This year, though, we were glad not to get stuck behind them on the way back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. . . we were barely aware of it all this year and so were delighted to on the road and just ahead of the pelothon as it shot through on the Ortaca bypass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B to B, Your photos are smashing, really. It looks like it was an incredibly gorgeous day. They do look relaxed, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, and gorgeous weather.... As for the cyclists, I feel tired just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to have jumped into high summer two months early

      Delete
  6. The photos are fantastic - full of colour and life. Whilst we don't have a harbour here in Alcala, we do have a section of the Spanish 'Tour' in the area and the cyclists whizz through - as you noticed, it's very difficult to catch them moving so nice to see them (in their lycra - the orange is very becoming) before they set off! Lovely shot of boy on bike at the end.
    Axx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of lycra - never seen so much

      Delete
  7. These are great photos,and really do capture the atmosphere...much more relaxed than the Tour de France images I remember from last year ! One of the best bits of seeing Le Tour last year was mixing with the watching crowds. I loved it...and it looks as if you had a good day here. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed hearing all the Italian spoken - we don't hear it very often

      Delete
  8. That must have been an enjoyable day. They all look very fit, tanned and relaxed and it must be the most marvellous scenery to cycle through if they could take their eyes from the road. :-) The Tour de France passed close to us in Normandy a couple of years ago - such excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure the riders see much of the scenery

      Delete
  9. Awww, I love the bike race and they didn't use Fethiye this year for some reason. Who knows why?? :) Lover your pics. I remember the first time we watched them cross the finish line and I was just so unprepared for the speed. Most of them had gone past by the time I pressed the shutter button. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They started in Gocek rather than Fethiye.

      Delete
  10. Good day I am so grateful I found your webpage, I really found
    you by accident, while I was researching on Digg for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a tremendous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb work.

    Visit my web site - Gucci Ufficiale

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great start to the season. Very colourful photo's, I can only imagine what a crush it was in town, especially with two cruise ships as well.

    ReplyDelete