Saturday 28 December 2013

Christmas Virgin


This is my favourite photograph from this week's festivities.  It is Jake the dog's second Christmas with us and my daughter's boyfriend, Celal's first ever and I feel that Jake is trying to give a bit of advice to the Christmas virgin.  I know I shouldn't anthropomorphise, but I can't help it:

"Do you see those gold tubes on the table? Before you're allowed to pick up your fork you have to pull those until they explode. Try not to knock over the wine goblets as you do it (they're the best ones). Inside are the dumbest paper hats that you are expected to put on your head before you're allowed to eat. Yes they do look ridiculous but it's a ritual these foreigners insist on. The payback is that you get the best meal of the year. You will probably even get to eat the chocolate log, which they don't allow me near. By the way, there will be bacon. If you don't fancy it, take some anyway and I'll be waiting by your knee to dispose of it for you. Did I mention that they are about to eat an indecent amount of food, so how about you take me for walk down to the harbour to make some room for it" 

15 comments:

  1. Chocolate log? What chocolate dog, er, I mean log? Can you imagine they would suspect me of such a thing just because of the chocolate on my breath? So how about that walk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, and can just imagine Jake saying that. I also liked this photo when I saw it on Facebook. Celal and Esi really are a lovely looking couple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo and I see Jake's fur grew back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we will have to give him a trim in May again, but I like him with a long coat.

      Delete
  4. Celal looks like a handsome chap (as does Jake, obviously)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute photo.....Celal looks like a very handsome young man. Jake reminds me so much of my beloved Brandy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake is gorgeous, and he is clearly saying exactly the words you have quoted.
    Hope you've had a lovely time over Christmas. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So this is Jake, lucky recipient of the fur trimmer! Jake would get on well with Smelly Dog, who has been advising our dinner guests in a similar fashion. I am glad to see that The Boyfriend has passed the "family dog test" with flying colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved it, such a great photo and it sums it up : ) Happy 2014, Mutlu Yillar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jake is obviously smart as well as good-looking. That's very sage advice he's giving Celal there. :-) Happy New Year, Annie.

    ReplyDelete