Monday 25 July 2016

Frog Blog

Freddie Frog turned up about 3 weeks ago. He obviously realised that there was no longer anyone who knows what they are doing in charge of the pool and decided to swap a muddy village pond, where being trampled by a cow was a constant danger, for a clear blue lagoon.  He was probably a bit disappointed when the new pool supervisor allowed the water to get a bit green and murky but he stuck around. Normal transparency was regained with a liberal dose of chlorine and I expected Freddie to hop off. If the chemicals made my eyes water, surely a frog would quit.

Freddie

But he didn't, he invited two mates along.  One frog is a quiet visitor but when his chums turn up they have quite a lot to say to each other.  Jake the dog objected to their nocturnal discourse in the only way he knows how - frenzied howling and barking.  The frogs had to go if I was to get any sleep.
And so it began... I catch the frogs and tip them into the garden and the frogs hop back. So I catch them again, put them in a bucket and take them back to the pond and the frogs hop back. My son-in-law-to be, catches them and takes them to the far side of the village pond and they hop back, this time with a few more friends in tow.  This Sunday, with 8 frogs in the pool, the internet was consulted, a mixture of salt and vinegar was brewed and the pool was surrounded with this toxic potion - the frogs ignored it and carried on jumping into the water.  I added citronella oil, chilli powder and mustard to the salt solution and painted the steps but the frogs couldn't care less.

Netia in action


House guests are handed a net and invited to join the hunt

Simon successful

A couple of days practice turns the novice hunter into an expert 


But this morning there were 8 frogs sunning themselves before their morning dip.  At this rate, in a couple of months, there won't be room for me to swim.  So the appeal goes out for tried and tested remedies to make these noisy amphibians go home, before I am forced to move out just to get a good night's sleep.

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but I'm laughing out loud. It's not really funny having all this frog noise and Jake's barking. I can't offer any ideas but I hope you find a solution xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like to come over and try your hand at frog-netting. I bet Kaya would be good at it.

      Delete
    2. I think he probably would. But now I've read your update and see you've managed to capture and relocate all but one of them. Let me know if you get another invasion...I'll try to get over to help. xx

      Delete
  2. leave them be and enjoy their company - we miss dear old Carl Froggety no end since he hopped off this mortal coil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine with one or two but this is getting out of hand

      Delete
  3. Made me chuckle, Annie...I know it's not really funny, though, as frogs are incredibly noisy and not what you want to be living in your pool. As Ayak said, hope you find a solution but I don't have any experience to draw on. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no advice, I'm afraid. I used to have frogs in my pond in Walthamstow and they used to hop into the dining room on hot nights. Trying to get shoo them out without harming them was hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one trying to get into the kitchen yesterday

      Delete
  5. Hilarious ..... I'm going to ask Dave if he has any ideas.

    When we moved to our new house in Nov I found our resident frog hitching a ride in a bag I had put down in the garden of the old house while I locked the door. I jumped out of my skin as his little green face poked out from the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That made me laugh, sorry! I just pictured you and your guests stalking frogs with Jake in tow... I guess you didn't hide your tracks well enough. Sorry I have no idea how to discourage them, short of finding them another blue pond they like even better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swimming pools are in short supply near me so I may be stuck with them

      Delete
  7. All I can think of is to find a Frenchman to act as a sort of pied piper...laughing too much to think of any sensible solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to consult the nearest french chef

      Delete
  8. It is rather amazing that the frogs seem to be enjoying all of the strange additives that you have added to your pool unfortunately they are social creatures and like to live in groups. Just be grateful that they are not Goliath frogs which can weigh 3 kilos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie, Have to say, I also had quite a laugh over the whole thing. I have to confess that I'd probably let them take over and enjoy their company. If only you could get them to shut up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what frog spawn would do to my filter

      Delete