Monday 28 August 2017

Treading grapes


I'm not really treading grapes, I'm treading on them. All at once, every single bunch of grapes seems to have over-ripened and started dropping its slippery bounty all over the courtyard. I should, of course, have started picking them much earlier and a few bunches have already been harvested but there is nothing like having a glut of something to make me want to eat anything but.  I'm also wary of step ladders. Last year a couple of friends found themselves in hospital after coming a cropper trying to reach high shelves and toppling over instead.  I am not a lover of heights and just standing on the bottom rung of a ladder seems a risk, so I've been concentrating very hard this morning on the top rung of the steps, holding my breath and trying to convince myself that my balance is fine. Unfortunately the fruit are so ripe that each time I cut a bunch a shower of grapes hit me in the face. I didn't fall off but the experience reminded me that there is a very tall, practical hollow in my life. One that always picked the grapes.


7 comments:

  1. Be careful - you should really have a neighbour or friend holding your ladder - I could do with a bunch of your grapes to go in my fruit salad, ours are not ripe as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, Please get off that ladder, go to the nalbur and get one of those long poles with a cutter on the end. I was skeptical at first, but I see now that they work well on our out of reach branches. Stay safe and well, J and M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such things are sent to remind us. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's either the step ladder or the wasps and hornets!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a very good ladder-steadier ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do take care and enjoy those delicious, freshly picked grapes! - So sorry to miss you in Bodrum this time, I do hope you come over to Surrey and stay with us sometime, you are always very welcome. Cok sevgilerimle, Ozlem xxx

    ReplyDelete