Tuesday 28 November 2017

Pumpkin Flop


The promised pumpkin cake post didn't appear yesterday because the recipe was a fiasco. I tried to be clever and make the cake with no white sugar using apple syrup instead, plus I substituted  olive oil for butter. Despite draining the pumpkin puree in a sieve for over an hour, which produced a large cup of juice, my puree was still too wet, so my finished product resembled a bread pudding rather than a cake.  Luckily I like bread pudding, even pumpkin flavoured ones and I had a slice toasted for breakfast this morning - which is a first. 
Jake was very happy with his pumpkin enriched mince and rice and he has cleaned his plate at both breakfast and supper, which is quite a rare occurrence with this fussy dog. 

I still had a cup of puree left over so I allowed it to drain overnight in the fridge and resorted to the trusted cake ingredients to produce a light and tasty pumpkin cake the next day. 





Pumpkin Cake Mark 2

2 medium eggs 
Weigh the eggs and measure out the same amount of sugar (white, brown or mixed), self raising flour and butter, 
1 tsp cinnamon, half tsp allspice and half a nutmeg - grated
Half a cup of well drained pumpkin puree
Handful of dried fruit - anything you have in your cupboard, small pieces

Heat the oven to 190 C (180 fan) 

Cream the sugar and butter, add two beaten eggs and pumpkin then gently stir in the flour, fruit  and spices. 
Grease a 7 inch cake tin and line with baking parchment, I never bother to line it if the cake tin has a removable base. 
Cook for about 40 minutes and check  that a knife in the centre comes out clean, if not bake for 5 minute intervals until it does. 

I iced mine with half a tub of Phily type cream cheese mixed with two tablespoons of icing sugar but next time I will leave it plain. 


12 comments:

  1. The bread pudding-style cake reminds me of my first Christmas here when I made a bread pudding as a substitute for a Christmas cake. I had no recipe (I987 and no internet) and no cookery book. I'm not talented at cooking in any way but the bread pudding (made from memory with dates used as the dried fruit ... and orange and satsuma peel) wasn't at all bad ... in fact I miss those days of 'making do and mend' ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final result looks very tasty and with the added topping of Phily cheese very moreish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second was was v good - always better for butter in my opinion

      Delete
  3. I have to admit to not being fond of pumpkin...except as soup, made with prawns.
    Still, at least you had a sort of bread pudding to enjoy...now that i do like, if made with bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do bring some if you ever drop by for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least you managed to get inventive with what you had - as well as still rustling up the cake the day after. Looks good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put most of it in he freezer or else I'd eat it all

      Delete
  6. B to B, Looks delicious to me. Interesting you got the icing to come out. I've never been able to find what we used to call 'confectioner's sugar' in the U.S. in Turkey to make a proper icing (my favorite part of a cake).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you rub the icing sugar through a sieve it seems to mix better, but I don't often bother.

      Delete