Sunday 18 February 2018

Shopping surprises



Sometimes living in Turkey I experience a 'shopping surprise'.  In the old days it was the appearance of broccoli and sprouts on market stalls or the arrival of cans of Guinness and bars of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut in the supermarket.  This year my lucky surprise has been the appearance of chalk based paints.  When we moved back to Bodrum 6 years ago and re-did our town house kitchen, I made-do as best I could with the paints available but now I can have the rich matt colour I really wanted, and being chalky - there is no sanding needed.  I'm working my way around the base cupboards this week and by next week I should be fit enough to get up a step ladder to paint the top.

 Cadence Paint's web site in English http://www.cadenceboya.com/en/

Available from Şulesi Hobi in Bodrum.



This wasn't my only discovery. For years I have been stocking up with Corsodyl when I visit UK. It's the only toothpaste that stops me looking like a postprandial vampire after brushing.  I ran out last month so had to look for an alternative and found Parodontax which is exactly the same product apart from the name and price - much cheaper here.
My daughter wears size 43 shoes - Almost impossible to find in Turkey so each visit abroad I return with a bag full of footwear.  From now on I might be able to travel with just hand luggage as we have discovered  http://www.37numara.com. Well made, reasonably priced, fashionable shoes and boots from a Turkish supplier in sizes up to 43 and 44.
I'm on such a roll, I expect to see parsnips and rhubarb in my shopping trolley next week - dream on.

11 comments:

  1. May your roll continue - the best shoes I have ever had were bought in Turkey. Lovely black leather, soft, supple and very comfortable. I don't know what I will do when they wear out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband wore out before hi beloved pair of 1981 Church brogues

      Delete
  2. shoes and paint you can keep but if catch you 'harvesting rhubarb and parsnips from the cabin garden I'll haunt you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in Marmaris since 1987 I remember the excitement of discovering soya sauce and Crunchies ... I should also add the excitement of the first supermarket opening ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully there wasn't much painting to do in the Bodrum house with all those stone walls. Trying to buy decent varnish for the window sills was a challenge, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only good point in favour of plastic windows

      Delete
  5. B to B, Ooo-ooh! parsnips and rhubarb? Well, I confess, we already have some form of rhubarb, but as of yet, no parsnips. I know what you mean about shopping surprises. My favorites have been sweet potatoes and fresh cilantro. BTW, fit enough for a step ladder? Wow. Maşallah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only if i have someone around to catch/pick up the pieces

      Delete
  6. More in hope than expectation I plan to plant the parsnip seeds which I bought on a whim in a garden centre in England last year. Past experience does not give much cause for optimism. As for rhubarb, I discovered long ago that it does have a Turkish name - ravent- so that suggests it exists in Turkey. İn our recent and excellent reading group book, Animal Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, rhubarb proves to be a very welcome "fruit" at the outset of the eating according to the season project. Turkish members of the group said they think it is found in eastern Anatolia. Bit of a way to go for rhubarb crumble but if you happen to be in the area bear it in mind.

    ReplyDelete